Why Should Communicators Declare?
Words matter. Our industries create the messages that influence the public and give industries social licence.
For too long we have been helping companies that produce greenhouse gas pollution by furthering their interests and protecting their reputations.
We have the solutions to the climate crisis, so communicators must support the narrative of a cleaner, greener future.
We are not anti-mining. We are not anti-business. We are anti-fossil fuel growth and greenhouse gas pollution as ‘business as usual’.
Who (not) to work with
Australia’s fossil fuel sector is enormously influential and spends tens of millions in marketing every year.
Let’s stop organisations undermining our right to a safe future.
These organisations have actively lobbied for the expansion of fossil fuel extraction against the best interests of the Australian people.
Join the 220+ individuals and 40 organisations that have declared for the climate.
What your options are as an individual
Of course, you’d rather work for an ethical employer, but it’s also important to try to change other organisations from within. Nobody wants to live in a post-apocalyptic hell-hole, but many of your colleagues may be unaware of how much power they have to make the future brighter. Declare and amplify your voice through our network.
You can’t claim to be an ethical organisation unless you are prioritising climate action.
Organisations – it’s time to step up
- Declare for the climate.
- Ask your communications staff to declare.
- Promote your declaration to inspire others.
- Ask your agencies and media buyers whether they do any business with fossil fuel companies or lobbyists. If they do, let them know that does not align with your values.
- Don’t accept donations or sponsorship from fossil fuel companies or lobbyists and let them know why.
- Advertise with media outlets that promote science-based reporting and climate action, not denial.